The Grateful Autistic

The thoughts of a reborn woman.

Experiences of being proud to be AUTISTIC and TRANSGENDER while losing my religious faith and discovering spiritual freedom.

Words of love and gratitude and life in the wonderful city of Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Sunday 30 October 2016

Challenged To Take A Photograph 4c: A Marble Run

I had done well enough.  I had completed two of my three photographic challenges and had enjoyed a lot of sights along the way.  It goes to show that when you are open to being surprised and open to a little exploration then surprises can appear and astound.  Sometimes it's absolutely worthwhile deliberately getting a bit lost.  With my current lack of sense of direction I'm finding it very easy to get lost accidentally unless I have previously visited a place in person.

Thank you Sunderland for revealing some of your street art.  I believe there will be more to find.

The third challenge remained.  To photograph a marble run.

I had called the challenge impossible.  Impossible.  And that's the only reason why the other two challenges were given.

Impossible.  Nevertheless, while walking through Sunderland and while visiting charity shops I looked hard for a marble run.  Just in case.  After all, sometimes marble run toys can be found in a charity shop.  The giver of the challenge knows this very well, having recently bought a marble run toy from a charity shop.

But I wasn't in luck.  I couldn't find a marble run in charity shops or among the street art of the back streets.

The challenge was impossible.  I had failed.

Unless ...

What if I were to make my own marble run?

Surely we would have materials at home somewhere.  If I could think of them.  And I knew that we had a marble.  Many marbles.

In the evening I scoured the house.  There were no suitable materials.  None.  Nothing with a nice marble holding curve.  Nothing for a marble to slide down gracefully.

It was impossible!

Unless ...

Would it be possible to make a marble run with a few sheets of A4 paper, some scissors and some tape?  Would it?

I set to work and enjoyed myself cutting and sticking until this sat on my floor:





It's a marble run.  It is.  And I had photographed it.

Success!  I had succeeded in a quest which I had thought impossible.  Hoorah!

I have proof.  It's not just a mess on the floor.  Here is my proof.  A video!  Of the least impressive marble run on YouTube.


Here it is again, with an explanation that almost makes sense.  With a failed attempt.  And with a happy person.


Keep the hope people!  Don't give up!  And learn about The Sacred Harp!

It almost certainly is the least impressive marble run on YouTube.  I promise you that.  But it is a marble run and it made me smile and it made the giver of the challenge smile too.

Here is a rather more impressive marble run.  I was watching this a couple of days before being given my challenge.  Because I watch this sort of thing.  Hey, it's relaxing.


If you want more than one marble, I can recommend marble machines.  What more could you want than this?:


And if you're in a competitive mood, how about a bit of marble racing?


Or a marble mountain.


I was complaining that my only materials were paper, scissors and tape.  I could have made something like this.  But not in my house because the ceiling isn't high enough.


You may be able to spot that I quite like watching marble runs.  A friend posted one on Facebook.  And I found myself an excellent relaxation aid.

Yeah.  I succeeded in my photographic quest.  And then used that as an excuse to sit watching videos.  A double win!












No comments:

Post a Comment